Who wouldn’t want to spend more time in Norway? Video games are an adrenaline pumping way to have a Norwegian adventure without leaving the comforts of your own home!
List of Video Games Played in Norway
The following games locate the player, at least some of the time, in Norway or with Norwegian characters. Be aware that in some of the games the Norwegian game play may be in expansion packs or upgrades of some type.
The links will take you to Amazon where you can learn more about these games and decide which should be added to your collection. The years listed after the game titles are release dates.
- A New Beginning, 2010 – A cinematic, interactive adventure thriller. Toss in some time travel, idealism, and betrayal as you fight for the fate of the planet at locations around the globe.
- Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons of WWII, 2003 – It’s a battle between Allied and Axis factions with upgraded weapons and a killer jet pack.
- Big Red Racing, 1996 – A comical racing game for DOS with one of twenty-four tracks located in Norway.
- Call of Duty, 2003 – The sixth mission in the British Campaign infiltrates the battleship Tirpitz in Norway to sabotage key naval equipment and obtaining a naval log for future RAF raids on the battleship.
- Clock Tower 1, 2, 3, 1995-2003 – Children from a fictional orphanage in Romsdalen, Norway are taken in by a wealthy recluse who lives in a mansion known as the “Clock Tower.” Their welcome is not entirely warm and gruesome adventures to survive ensue.
- Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun, 1999 – A real-time strategy video game following the second major war between the Global Defense Initiative of the United Nations, and the global terrorist organization known as the Brotherhood of Nod. The story takes place in 2030.
- Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines, 1998 – Of the twenty missions in the game, the first seven are early in the WWII and take place in Occupied Norway.
- Commandos: Strike Force, 2006 – Three WWII campaigns are played: France, Norway and Russia.
- Crusader Kings II, 2012-2015 – Historic strategy game where the player controls a Medieval dynasty from roughly 1066 to 1453. There are a number of expansion packs, you will want The Old Gods.
- Dirt 3, 2011 – A driving race of iconic cars representing 50 years of off-road rallies from the forests of Michigan to the infamous roads of Finland and the national parks of Kenya.
- Driveclub, 2014 – Players compete in racing events in Canada, Chile, India, Japan, Norway, and Scotland. Players can customize a number of elements and may complete optional challenges during events. A weather system and day-night cycle keeps things fresh. (Gameplay video at the top of this page.)
- Europa Universalis series – This dynastic strategy game continues where Crusader Kings II leaves off. Can Norway dominate the world? Continue on with Hearts of Iron.
- F-15 Strike Eagle II, 1989-1993 – The 1991 release called F-15 II Operation Desert Storm added three new scenarios including Norway’s North Cape.
- Fallout 4, 2015 – The Wreck of the FMS Northern Star is populated by characters speaking Norwegian. A translation and run-through of this section is available on this YouTube video. (Warning: bloody, violence, monsters)
- FIFA World Cup, Versions: 94, 98, 2002, 2006, 2010, 2014, 2016 – Soccer (fotball) teams from from around the world, including Norway, battle for the championship! Venues may not be in Norway, but the players are from the Norwegian team.
- Hearts of Iron series, 2002-2009 – A strategy war game allows the player to control 175+ nations and guide its development through the years encompassing the First or Second World Wars.
- Hidden & Dangerous, 1999-2001 – WWII missions take place in Italy, Yugoslavia, Germany, Norway, the North Sea and Czechoslovakia.
- Hidden & Dangerous 2, 2003 – War missions include Norway, Libya, Burma, Austria, France and Czechoslovakia.
- Medal of Honor, 1999-2009 – Set late in World War 2 with first-person shooter gameplay locations in France, Norway and Germany.
- Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, 2002-2004 – Missions include assaulting German bases in Algiers and Norway, storming Omaha Beach on D-Day, and going behind enemy lines in occupied France.
- Medal of Honor: Infiltrator, 2003 – You can’t get too much honor! Take your WWII battles on the road with your Game Boy Advance or connect it to a Nintendo GameCube version of Medal of Honor: Rising Sun with a Nintendo GameCube Game Boy Advance Cable to use the GBA as an in-game map extension.
- Panzer Corps Wehrmacht – Set in World War II, the player in charge of Axis armies , taking their core force with them through the entire war. Nations represented: Germany, Italy, Poland, France, Great Britain, USA, USSR, Norway, Belgium, Netherlands, Albania, Romania, Greece, and more.
- Red Lightning, 1989 When Red Lightning strikes, World War III begins! Three scenarios, five difficulty levels, and a myriad of options challenge the avid retro gamer.
- Return to Castle Wolfenstein, 2001-2007 – A first-person shooter set in WWII, with paranormal flourishes. Parachute into Norway, close to Deathshead’s mysterious X-Labs!
- STCC – The Game, 2008 – A racing game where various vehicles take on a number of tracks in Sweden, plus Vålerbanen, Norway. Plenty of mods may give you other choices!
- Tekken Tag Tournament 2, 2010-2011 – A tag team fighting game with a broad cast of characters.
- Tekken Revolution, 2013 – Free Download for PS3 only
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield, 2003 – An elite multinational counter-terrorism task-force finds itself investigating a series of attacks that may have Nazi roots.
- Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, 2009 – A futuristic third-person tactical shooter video game with campaign settings that include Nigeria, Pakistan, Russia and Norway.
- Tomb Raider: Underworld, 2008-2009 – Thor’s Belt and some ancient pictographs link to Jörmungandr, a mythical Norse sea-serpent, brought about by the seventh age. Her next stop are ruins of Norway’s Jan Mayen Islands that correlate to Valhalla. It is here that Lara finally recovers Thor’s Hammer.
- Victoria 2, 2010 – With the same Europa game engine as Europa Universalis and Hearts of Honor, use strategy to optimize industrial assets during the Victorian era. Play as Sweden to set Norway and Jan Mayen free!
- Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego?, 1985-1989 – An educational strategy game to track Carmen’s villains around the world and arrest them. One of roughly thirty missions is in Oslo, Norway.
- World in Conflict: Soviet Assault, 2009 – When the Cold War Soviet Union troops invade Europe and America, you are going to need a good strategy!
When we come across more video games set in Norway we will add them here. Also keep an eye on our Video Games in Norway playlist at the Norway At Home YouTube channel.
Please comment on your favorite video games played in a Norwegian setting!
I’ll have to stock up for my nephews’ birthdays and the holidays. Thanks for the list! 🙂
Very few of these leaves a lasting impression of Norway. Commandos being one of the few.